Friday, 15 June 2012

All these worlds

I was really slow churning this piece out. What with trouble getting the textures looking how i wanted and again atmosphere problems i had to do quite  few workarounds which are tedious and irritating....

I got the inspiration for it after seeing this image from the Tyrannis trailer:


I'd had the idea for an "amarrian invasion" scene for a few days before hand and remembered seeing this when looking for Charon reference images for my last piece. The ominous, looming fleet descending on a hopeless world was the exact sort of feel i wanted and so i set to work.

As mentioned i had some trouble with textures on the Archons. Mainly it's getting the armored plates to look that sort of golden color that befits the Amarr ships whilst keeping the dark body of the ship black, lightened only by the dotted lights. I managed to get around it anyway with some use of alpha'd textures and a little lighting but i really need to figure out the "proper" way of building these ships up.

I did have a  breakthrough on the Minmatar station and Templar fighters realizing that the models seem to have inbuilt selections that you can use to limit a textures application to different parts of a model. I shall have to investigate further!

Also i discovered a cool way to make "machine-gun fire" with volumetric lighting. Let me know what you think!

Anyway here's the finished piece. Yet again i could have added more ships but i really wanted to get this one out of the way by the end and felt i was cluttering it up:

All These Worlds
http://i.imgur.com/t2j6W.jpg 


Let me know what you think!

1 comment: